Sunday 28 September 2014

Thread painting and reverse appliqué

Thread painting
A couple of weeks ago I went to a brilliant class on thread painting lead by Linda Turner. The class was so inspiring. Linda is such a good teacher! This is what I started in the class, following a pattern designed by Linda. I used waxed crayons to shade the sky and added a few migrating birds in the background.


I bound it like a regular quilt and added triangles of fabric on the back so I could tuck some doweling underneath to hang up. The back....


Reverse Appliqué 
I was inspired by a friend of mine, Lyndsey, to sew some reverse appliqué. Lynsey had done some lovely Halloween inspired place mats usin this method. I layered 8 fabrics, sewed a design through all the layers and cut away some of the fabric to show the layers beneath. I used machine thread painting to decorate the butterfly and dragonfly (I am addicted after Linda's class!) and finished off the flowers with hand sewn French knots.


 I completed the back with the same method described above. The back...


I really enjoyed making these pieces. Now I am working on a boutis / traptuno pin cushion amoung other things. I am also waiting for a couple of hand knitted hats (from hans spun yarn) to dry, they may be my next post. 

Ta ta for now.






1 comment:

  1. We didn't begin yesterday... With more than 30 years of involvement, we understand what you need! We give insight, in Painting, yet in addition in development, politeness, regard, and demonstrable skill. That is the reason we are the Top House Painter in Round Rock, Georgetown, and the entire Austin TX Area! house painting round rock

    ReplyDelete